The Lower School curriculum reflects high academic standards, and our faculty is dedicated to allowing each student to discover their physical, creative, social, and academic strengths.
Social and academic skills are inextricably linked, therefore we strive to create a respectful, safe atmosphere where students can explore interests, take responsible risks, and develop academic skills. Dedicated faculty members work together in our state-of-the-art facility to create an engaging curriculum, rich with opportunities for deeper thinking as students develop key twenty-first-century skills: communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Developmentally appropriate, coherently sequenced, and integrated curriculum.
- Development of critical thinking and creative problem solving, collaboration and communication skills, curiosity, and imagination.
- A compassionate school environment that values personal responsibility, diversity, and openness to different points of view.
- Collaborative projects that engage students in a variety of learning experiences that encourage making connections, building understanding, and taking ownership of learning.
- Experiential learning and enriching experiences through on and off-campus opportunities.
Project Lead the Way
Project Lead the Way (PLTW) is the science curriculum utilized in our lower school. We recognize that students learn through exploration and discovery, and the PLTW curriculum taps into students’ exploratory nature, engages them in learning that feels like play and encourages discovery. Students are directed in hands-on activities, projects, and problems that build upon each other and relate to real-world situations. PLTW is truly a cross-curricular program where even the youngest learners apply their math and English Language Arts skills to computer science, engineering, biomedical science, and more.
At The Cornerstone School, academics and social skills are closely intertwined. We are proud to offer the internationally-recognized Cambridge Program across all grade levels. Cambridge Primary starts learners on an exciting journey of becoming confident, responsible, reflective, innovative, and engaged learners. The focus is on the learners’ holistic educational experiences to include academics, students’ well-being, and how students can interact with and improve society and the environment. There is a healthy balance between whole group, small group, and individual work, academics, and play, with the Cambridge philosophy of Active Learning embedded in all we do.